I get this question a lot and, to be honest, this is a rather difficult thing to explain, so today I decided to show you instead :). This is the most basic set of some of my favourite brushes. Sometimes I change their settings or create more new brushes (it all depends on the effect that I’m looking for).
1. This is one of the basic Photoshop brushes (hard round), it’s useful while sketching more detailed stuff (like eyes, for example).
2. This is one of the first brushes I made. The texture was taken from a scanned strainer.
3. This is a nice thing for wide brush strokes.
(This is going to be a long post, so I’ll just put the rest under the “read more” thingy)
4. The same brush tip as with the one above, but more random angle jitter (gives interesting results).
5. I created this one for painting hair. Best idea I’ve ever had - saves shitloads of time.
6. This is a softie that I made for blending or first stages of tonal sketching.
7. This one is for textures.
8. The next three ones were created by Maciej Kuciara, great digital painter (he is like the ultimate badass). I bought them with some magazine about computer graphics. They make great textures.
So basically my paintings are made of a textured texture with a texture and more texture on the top.
I hope you enjoyed my extremely long post :)